The Travel Writing Course
Price: £ 645.00
Travel Writing Course
A complete toolkit to launch yourself as a professional travel writer for magazines and webzines
Learn to write and sell engaging travel articles to publications around the world
The Travel Writing Course is for those who love to travel – and write about it.
Would you like to get paid for the stories you write about your journeys? Then step into the most competitive field in modern professional journalism: travel writing.
Our 12-month online travel writing course gives you all the tools and tips you need to become a travel writer and break into the global travel writing industry. Learn to tailor your writing for print and online travel magazines and blogs, and how to pitch your work.
The Travel Writing Course Gives You...
Free Your Potential on the Travel Writing Course
Step into one of the most exciting and challenging fields of writing
Learn the secrets behind writing an award-winning travel story. Discover how to illustrate your words with great images, how to pitch your work, how to conduct interviews, how to research your feature to give it extra depth and, most importantly, how to make an income in this competitive environment.
Over the course of 11 modules and 20 writing assignments, you will be tutored by highly experienced photojournalists who specialise in the field of travel. They’ll take the guesswork and the trial and error out of travel writing by guiding you through every stage of this exciting journey.
You’ll soon learn it’s more than just a blog post about where you went and what you did. It’s about how carefully your traveller’s eye has been honed: do you see the irony, the human interest, the poignancy and the humour in what you encounter? Do you have the research skills to substantiate your narrative? Can you add images to your words? Can you market yourself to an overworked editor?
Your tutors are always willing to share their knowledge with you, welcoming discussions on the subject of travel journalism and answering any queries you might have.
'I LOVED this course, from beginning to end. I was made to work hard and my tutor earned my respect by her direct and honest feedback at the end of each module.'
Marilyn Scott, Travel Writing Course
Start your course at any time – applications open all year round.
Price includes VAT
Other currencies will be converted at time of invoice
NUMBER OF ASSIGNMENTS
The assignments vary in length.
NUMBER OF MODULES
These modules include around 300 pages of course notes.
Work at your own pace – up to a maximum of twelve months.
START DATE: ANYTIME
Working with an individual tutor means you can start the course at any time.
Basic writing skills are essential. Computer skills, e-mail and Internet access required. No previous tertiary qualification required.
Our Graduate Students'
We are proud of our graduates who have achieved success. Here are a few among dozens of other journalism
Tutor for this course
What is Travel Writing?
- Distinguish travel writing from other genres of writing
- Develop an understanding of the elements that characterise travel journalism
- Get answers to FAQs about a career in travel journalism
- Writing Exercise 1: Practice writing scenes that ‘show’ rather than ‘tell’ (assessment and feedback task)
Targeting Your Market
- Analyse a magazine in terms of content, style, format, tone, target market and demographic
- Learn how to match your writing with that of a selected travel magazine
- Writing Exercise 2: Analyse the demographic, style, tone and format of a selected magazine (assessment and feedback task)
Topics that Sell
- Know where and how to find sellable ideas
- Learn techniques for generating ideas
- Distinguish between a topic and an angle
- Study an overview of prominent international travel magazines
- Writing Exercise 3: Refine topics into angles; come up with an angle for a travel article (feedback task)
The Travel Writing Industry Revealed
- Find out how to write the perfect query letter
- Distinguish between writing on speculation versus querying and being commissioned
- Writing Exercise 4: Write a query letter for your targeted magazine, covering all aspects of style, tone, content and format (assessment and feedback task)
The Compelling Opener
- Discover the critical elements for writing a compelling lead
- Identify the different types of introductions for travel pieces
- Writing Exercise 5: Write a compelling opening to your article (feedback and assessment task)
Body-Building Part 1
- Identify the main components of an article
- Use a basic story structure to map out your travel piece
- Use transitions and logical flow to facilitate easy reading
- Writing Exercise 6: Begin to write up the body of your article and hand in a first draft (feedback task)
Body-Building Part 2
- Learn the main grammar, style and punctuation rules for good writing
- Know the rules for apt usage of quotations
- Writing Exercise 7: Test your knowledge of grammar, style and punctuation (assessment and feedback task)
- Writing Exercise 8: Panel-beat the body into shape and hand in a second draft (feedback task)
Body-Building Part 3
- Find out how to create catchy sidebars and resource boxes
- Write your own byline
- Writing Exercise 9: Write a byline and 2 sidebars (feedback task)
Finishing Off in Style
- Identify the different types of closers
- Essential photography tips
- Writing Exercise 10: Write the closer to your piece (feedback task)
The Final Cut
- Edit your piece by following basic guidelines
- Understand the different kinds of cover letters and how to submit your piece in a professional way
- Invoice and organise payment for your stories
- Understand the basics of copyrighting, recycling stories and syndication
- Writing Exercise 11: Edit your piece and submit it with a cover letter. Include photographs for bonus points. (assessment and feedback task)
Mastering Travel Writing for the Web
- How writing articles for the web is different to print
- Using SEO-friendly keywords, headings and sub-headings
- Writing tips: hyperlinking and chunking
- Finding work online
- Writing Exercise 12: Write and submit a web article
What Our Students Say
I thought the course would be good, but it turned out to be great! [My tutor's] responses to my submitted assignments were lightning-fast and her feedback was frank and encouraging. The course more than met my objectives. I loved it, I learnt lots and I will consider doing other courses through The Writers College in the future.
I was sad when I completed the course. I loved it so much, I felt like signing up and redoing the course the very second that I finished it.
I give this course a rating of 10/10. It is very informative and educational. It gave me the tools, guidance and the confidence I needed to enter the travel writer’s world. I will definitely be studying further courses through The Writers College. Keep up the great work. Thank you.
My tutor Donna was excellent at analyzing where I needed improvement. Her feedback was clear and helpful, and by following her suggestions, my work improved exponentially. I feel confident that I have completed the course with a saleable article and picked up enough tricks to continue shaping my work into the travel writing style, and hopefully sell articles.
I thoroughly enjoyed the course and realised how much I don't know about my own language. Donna was a pleasure to work with as a tutor. It was obvious from her responses to my work that she is a genuine wordsmith. The course met all of my objectives. I learned a great deal and had a lot of fun doing so.
Each module of the course was very well thought-out and designed to gain knowledge in a very effective way. Donna was a very helpful and patient tutor. She provided a lot of instructive, enlightening advice and information. Her positive feedback never failed to encourage me and boost my confidence.
Get These Additional Benefits
Risk-Free 100% Money-Back Guarantee
We are so confident that you will love your course that if you’re not 100% satisfied with the quality of our training, simply ask for a refund within 30 days.
Complete the Application Form to Enrol on the Travel Writing Course
You will receive an approval email and invoice within one working day.
Questions? We've Got Answers
Detailed course notes covering the content of each module are emailed to you.
At the end of each module, you will be required to complete one or two writing exercises. In total, the course includes ten writing assignments, all of which count towards your final result. You must also produce one query letter (300–600 words), one feature-length article (1200–1500 words) and one 500–word web piece.
Once you have completed a writing assignment and emailed it to your tutor, you will receive an assessment and feedback, and the module will be considered complete.
Absolutely. You have direct communication with your tutor for the duration of the course. The more questions you ask, the more you will get out of the course.
You will get lifetime access to the course, and you’ll benefit from all future updates and improvements to the course.
For the majority of our courses, only your tutor will see your work. Your work will remain completely private unless you get it published. In the journalism courses, your work might be published in the public domain, but you do have the final say as to whether or not it is published.
You will receive a Writers College Certificate upon successful completion of the course, provided you meet the following conditions:
You must have completed all assignments (namely, writing exercises, one query letter and two articles).
The course must have been completed within 12 months of registration.
A minimum average of 50% for the course must be achieved.
- Basic writing skills are essential.
- Basic computer skills, as well as email and Internet access are required.
- No previous tertiary qualification is required.
Because you will work with an individual tutor, you can apply for a course and start as soon as you want to. There are no specific start dates as would be the case with a traditional college.
An application is usually approved within one working day. Once we see proof of payment, your course will start.
You could be starting your course today!
Reading Time: 18 hours
Writing Time: Up to 35 hours
Research Time: 2–6 hours, depending on the complexity of your article
Once your application has been approved, you will receive notice of approval and an invoice via email. As soon as we see proof of payment, you will receive the first module. We will also send you your tutor’s email address and your login details. Your tutor will also be in touch to welcome you.
Any work you create on our courses is owned by you. We will never make a claim to anything you produce. We follow the rule that copyright subsists with the creator (you).