The Copywriting Course
Price: £ 695.00
The Copywriting Course
A Practical, Inspiring Introduction to the Principles of Copywriting
Learn how to think and write for effective brand communication
The Copywriting Course is ideal for people who want to:
- Explore a career in copywriting
- Understand the conceptual processes involved in brand communication
- Develop relevant copywriting techniques for different media channels
- Extend existing creative or corporate writing skills to commercially focused writing
- Complement design skills with practical writing techniques
You will learn how to write advertisements and promotional material for print media, radio, websites, banner ads and non-traditional media.
Get insider tips and tricks from a copywriter with over 20 years of senior level experience.
This Course Gives You...
Master the Skill of Writing Effective Advertising Copy
Discover the power of persuasive writing
The Copywriting Course comprises eight modules with a practical project relating to each module. Six of the modules are mandatory and two are electives (There are four elective modules focusing on different media channels, which can be selected based on your personal interests and career challenges.)
The structure of the course has been designed in a specific order ensuring each topic builds logically on the next to help develop your skills in the processes of conceptual thinking. The content also includes many examples of award-winning advertising to illustrate techniques – and offer inspiration on lateral creative solutions.
You will receive extensive feedback on each project, with detailed comments on the different techniques involved in developing effective concepts and specialised writing techniques.
The course can be completed at your own pace within a period of one year.
You will learn:
- The strategy and objective behind the writing
- The role of conceptual thinking in effective brand communication
- Techniques for generating relevant advertising ideas
- The writing skills needed to become an effective communicator
- How to write in context with images and layout hierarchy
- How to write with empathy to connect with consumers
- The skills needed to write for different media channels
'I thoroughly enjoyed the course, I was privileged to have an amazing tutor and the content was relevant and informative. Mandy is extremely experienced in her field, she gave in-depth explanations on all assignments and she gave me invaluable information for my writing career. The Writers College exceeded my expectations of what is promised on the website with their professionalism, highly relevant course material and outstanding service.'
Alison Livanos, Copywriting Course
Start your course at any time – applications open all year round.
Price includes VAT
Other currencies will be converted at time of invoice.
NUMBER OF ASSIGNMENTS
The assignments vary in length.
NUMBER OF MODULES
These modules include six set modules and two electives.
Work at your own pace – up to a maximum of twelve months.
START DATE: ANYTIME
Working with an individual tutor means you can start the course at any time.
Basic writing skills are essential.
Computer skills, e-mail and Internet access required.
No previous tertiary qualification required.
Tutor for this course
Mandy Speechly is an experienced specialist in training for copywriting and brand communication. She currently works at Vega School of Brand Communication in Cape Town, where she lectures 1st and 3rd year BA students, and manages the national programme for copywriting across four campuses. She has been awarded numerous student Loeries awards and consistently ranks among the top lecturers in the country.
Prior to these roles, Mandy worked as a copywriter in the advertising industry for over fifteen years and continues to freelance for a range of different agencies and clients.
Mandy has been a tutor at UK Writers College for over a decade and also offers a consultation service on developing copywriting portfolios to help writers find work in the advertising industry.
Mandy recently co-authored a textbook published by Juta (Connect: Writing for Online Audiences). She completed her Master’s in Media Studies through University of Cape Town, focusing on writing for mobile media.
- Graduated with a Masters Degree in Media Studies from UCT in one year
- Ranked No 6 in the lecturers’ category on the 2019 national Loeries rankings
- Co-authored a textbook on writing for online audiences
- National Head of Programme for copywriting at Vega School
An Introduction to Copywriting
- What is copywriting?
- The role of the copywriter in the advertising and communication industries
- Project 1: Analyse a piece of existing advertising as an introduction to conceptual thinking
Before the Writing Begins
- Brand strategy and target market
- Understanding different media applications
- Project 2: Write a creative brief which applies the logical thinking behind the creative writing
The Importance of Big Ideas and How to Get Them
- What is a Big Idea? Why does all good advertising need one?
- Understanding the conceptual process and the techniques for developing ideas
- Project 3: Develop different single-minded propositions and related advertising ideas
Print Advertising – Writing Effective Headlines
- The principles of print advertising and conceptual communication
- Tips on writing headlines and understanding visuals
- Project 4: Create a print ad focussing on the role of the headline in the communication
Print Advertising – Writing Body Copy
- The structure and hierarchy of effective body copy
- The voice and tone of good copy
- Project 5: Create a print advert that requires long body copy
Elective A – Writing Advertising for Radio**
- Understanding how to write for an audio medium
- Tips on developing ideas for radio commercials
- Techniques for writing radio scripts
- Project: Develop concepts and write scripts for a radio campaign
Elective B – Alternative Media and Ambient Advertising**
- The role of alternative and ambient media in advertising communication
- Tips on developing and writing for non-traditional or ‘guerrilla’ advertising ideas
- Project: Create an advertising idea using non-traditional media
Elective C – Writing Copy for Websites**
- Understanding the way people read websites
- Writing, structuring and formatting content for websites
- How to write effective home and about us pages
- Project: Develop the content and basic navigation for a website
Elective D – Online Banner Display Advertising**
- The role of paid online advertising in the communication plan
- The characteristics of online display banner advertising
- Creative tips on how to create and write effective web banners
- Project: Create the concept and content for an online display banner
- The principles of an integrated advertising campaign
- Techniques for transferring an idea to different media
- Understanding the role of each media channel in the campaign communication
- Project 10: Create an advertising campaign that develops one idea across different media channels
** Please note:
Students are welcome to complete additional elective modules on top of the two they have chosen. Additional modules will be charged for. This is only available for past students and students currently on the course. Please contact admin for more information.
What Our Students Say
My experience on the course was very enjoyable; it was a great learning experience. Mandy was very approachable and efficient as my tutor. I learnt a lot from her vast and up-to-date knowledge on the subject. I have achieved the goal I set out to achieve, and I will be back to do more courses.
I thoroughly enjoyed the course! I found the briefs and course notes clear and exciting. Mandy was great. After every brief, there was always a motivation for me to push the idea further. Her suggestions were always enlightening. I enjoyed working with her. Overall, I would describe the course as efficient, inspiring and thorough.
It was a wonderful experience. I learnt a lot, and everything was very well structured. Mandy was a wonderful tutor, and she had a lot of patience with me if I didn’t understand a module. I could email her at any time, and she would get back to me right away. I would take the course again if I had the opportunity.
Really enjoyed the course. It was a nice introduction to the industry. Mandy was great. Really enjoyed dealing with her. I feel more confident in getting into the industry now.
I have learned a lot from this course and will never look at advertising the same way again, and that is a good thing. Mandy was really great! This was my third course through the Writers’ College and I loved it! Can't say it any better than that. I hope to do more courses!
Thank you for the copywriting course. It was an excellent course. Getting work so quickly in the industry has been outstanding. I found Mandy to be an excellent lecturer. I especially valued her feedback and comments on my assignments
Get These Additional Benefits
Risk-Free 100% Money-Back Guarantee
We are so confident that you will love your course that if you’re not 100% satisfied with the quality of our training, simply ask for a refund within 30 days.
Complete the Application Form to Enrol on the Copywriting Course
You will receive an approval email and invoice within one working day.
Questions? We've Got Answers
At the end of each module, students will be required to complete one project, which involves related writing and conceptual thinking skills. In total, the course includes 8 writing assignments that all count towards the final result of the student.
Once the writing assignment has been completed, and e-mailed to the lecturer, a written assessment will be sent to the student to provide feedback, and the module will be considered complete. Alternatively, for selected modules, this feedback can be delivered in the form of an online Skype session if this is preferred. Students can also participate in ongoing online discussions by posting comments about the materials covered in the course or other issues pertaining to writing in the college blog.
Absolutely. You have direct communication with your tutor for the duration of the course. The more questions you ask, the more you will get out of the course.
You will get lifetime access to the course, and you’ll benefit from all future updates and improvements to the course.
For the majority of our courses, only your tutor will see your work. Your work will remain completely private unless you get it published. In the journalism courses, your work might be published in the public domain, but you do have the final say as to whether or not it is published.
Students will receive a Writers College Certificate upon successful completion of the course, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Students must have completed 8 projects (7 individual media projects and one mini-campaign involving a minimum of 3 different media)
- The course must have been completed within 10 months of registration
- Students are expected to attain a minimum average of 50% for the course
- Basic writing skills are essential.
- Basic computer skills, as well as email and Internet access are required.
- No previous tertiary qualification is required.
Because you will work with an individual tutor, you can apply for a course and start as soon as you want to. There are no specific start dates as would be the case with a traditional college.
An application is usually approved within one working day. Once we see proof of payment, your course will start.
You could be starting your course today!
- Reading time: 10 hours
- Writing time: 20 hours
- Research time: 1 hour per project, depending on the topic involved
Once your application has been approved, you will receive notice of approval and an invoice via email. As soon as we see proof of payment, you will receive the first module. We will also send you your tutor’s email address and your login details. Your tutor will also be in touch to welcome you.
Any work you create on our courses is owned by you. We will never make a claim to anything you produce. We follow the rule that copyright subsists with the creator (you).